Hmm, what do you do when you have too many bananas? After dropping loads of “hints”, I decided to make my hubby some banana bread. It’s just cooling in the window and looks lush!
Adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe
- 115 g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 c sugar (I use 1/2 cup xylitol as my hubby is a diabetic)
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups flour (I use unbleached)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt (if I use salted butter, then I reduce this to 1/2 tsp)
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 1/2 cup sour cream (I used half-fat creme fraiche)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan assisted.
- Butter loaf pan.(I use cake release spray)
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, beating well.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and combine with butter mixture. Blend well.
- Add the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla and stir well.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake approximately 45 minutes depending on your oven. The original recipe says bake for 1 hour, however in my fan assisted oven if I did that it would be burnt to a crisp! I usually bake for about 25-30 minutes and then see how much longer it needs. It is done when a tester in the middle comes out fairly clean.
- Turn out onto rack to cool